Cortes Island has partnered with the Campbell River and District Coalition to End Homelessness (CRDCEH). After many months of planning, we are now ready to launch our survey project. This project is different from both the SRD’s Transportation Survey and their Housing Needs Assessment Surveys. While their project looks more to the economic and market considerations of housing and compares it to other jurisdictions, ours looks to the person-centered/social side of housing insecurity and access to services.
This survey is meant to be filled out by people who:
- Live in the Strathcona Regional District (SRD) boundary (including Cortes Island).
- Feel that their current home is unsuitable for them or unaffordable or unconventional.
- Or find it difficult to secure housing and access services in their community.
The results of this survey will be available to governments, organizations, and community groups for:
- Articulating the importance of housing and service expansion on Cortes .
- Applying for funding to support housing and service needs on remote islands.
- Influencing program and service development for those in need.
- Informing housing and services policies and practices in the region.
Deadline to complete the survey is May 11. The easiest way of sharing your story to help us better understand your housing and service needs is by filling out the online survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CampbellRiverDistrict
If you need a paper copy of the survey, it will be available at the Cortes Island Library + the Whaletown Post Office + Women’s Centre + Friday Market for pick-up and drop off no later than May 11.
Your participation will be completely anonymous. Thanks for supporting the creation of more affordable housing options and services on Cortes Island.
Sandra Wood, CHS Executive Director
On behalf of the Cortes Community Housing Society (CHS)