With your help, we had a milestone year. Together, we made huge gains for our community’s effort to build affordable, stable, year-round rental housing on Cortes Island. How wonderful to see our collective potential unlocked in so many ways, large and small!
What We Achieved in 2019:
- A new well drilled, hitting an abundant drinking water aquifer for the Seniors Village Expansion.
- Several Engineering Reports completed for both the Seniors Village and Rainbow Ridge: Hydrology, Geotech, Environmental & Wastewater.
- Architectural Designs created for the new Seniors Village Cottages & the Rainbow Ridge Cluster Homes.
- Rainbow Ridge Rezoning Application submitted to Strathcona Regional District in October 2019.
- Construction scheduled to begin on the Seniors Village in May 2020.
- And, the publication of Home: A Cortes Community Anthology. This beautiful testament to love of place is a gift that keeps on giving, and will support our fundraising efforts indefinitely. You can buy copies at Marnie’s Books, the Co-op, and online here.
After amazing work by our team, unending support from the Seniors Society, the Cortes Island Foundation, the larger community of donors, and YOU, we are in a strong position to move forward in 2020, towards reaching our remaining fundraising goal of $150,000.
With your help, we are making a dream come true. Year-round rental homes for Cortes residents who love this island. Who live, work and play here. Who continue to build their lives and families here. With your help, they can stay, and Cortes can continue to be a diverse, thriving community for generations to come.
Deep Gratitude and Happy New Year from your Housing Committee.