About the Project
Together, we are fulfilling the dream of affordable stable year-round rental housing for community members of all ages. The Cortes Island Seniors Society has purchased a 51 acre parcel. This flat, residentially-zoned land is situated between Cemetery and Beasley roads, within five minutes walk of downtown Mansons Landing.
In the first phase of development, we have rezoned the existing Senior’s Village to include an additional four units to accommodate the 16 seniors already on the waiting list. These units are currently under construction and expected to be completed in December 2020.
Thereafter, the clearest need identified through multiple housing surveys and public input, is for affordable rental homes of various sizes for singles, families, and seniors. Rainbow Ridge, a 20-unit development planned for a modest portion of these 51 acres, will address some of this need in the community.
Why Rainbow Ridge?
• Housing is fundamental to relieving poverty and reducing homelessness
• Affordable housing encourages a thriving and diverse island population of all ages and varied means
• Stable housing for families will keep our island school viable with a growing number of children
• Rainbow Ridge will include the creation and maintenance of public walking trails to and from downtown Mansons Village
• Construction and administration will create local jobs for island mills, carpenters, value-added woodwork, and other staff
• There will be an opportunity to start educational apprenticeship programs for a new generation of builders
• Rainbow Ridge will maximize use of local lumber from our Cortes Community Forest Co-op
• Kick-start our Local Economic Action Plan (LEAP)
We get to co-create, imagine, to dream together what might be possible on the remaining acres. What might we need?
We will go one step at a time, one phase at a time, with a flexible vision and an open ear. Our extended vision includes the idea that this project could be replicated on other parts of the island, if the need and opportunity arise.
The Seniors Village and Rainbow Ridge on Cortes Island are located in the traditional and ancestral territories of the toq qaymɩxʷ (Klahoose), ɬəʔamɛn qaymɩxʷ (Tla’amin), ʔop qaymɩxʷ (Homalco) Nations.